How to Clean Your Closet
How many people in the USA are hoarders?
Several years ago, hoarding was brought to light by a reality TV show – it is estimated that one in fifty people hoard. This is sad because it can be a mental disorder. Most of us are not hoarders but our closets can sometimes start to look a bit “hoardy”.
So even if you are not going to sell your home it’s good to do this process every couple of years. Having your world tidy brings peace of mind. Here are some easy steps.
What do you need to clean your closet?
- 2 large black trash bags –marked Trash and Donate
- A large cardboard box marked Sell
- Another box or plastic container marked Keep – with the date on it!
- Several large plastic containers (preferably ones that will slide below your bed)
How do you clean your closet?
- First take everything out of your closet
- As you do this sort it into 2 piles – fall/winter and spring/summer – this may seem to create a bigger mess but you need to see it all
- Remove all the hangers
- Then take each season – fall/winter and spring/summer:
- Keep because you wear it all the time – goes back on hangers
- Keep because you love it but it doesn’t fit – goes in keep box
- Donate – to goodwill/your favorite charity store – put on top of one of the black trash bags neatly folded
- Sell – to consignment – put into the cardboard box
- Trash – damaged, stained, ripped – unusable into the black trash bag
- Seasons – whichever season you are in goes back in the closet the other season goes into the plastic containers and goes under your bed or in your closet.
How do you decide what to keep?
- Keep anything you currently wear and fit into – goes back on the hangers or is folded on the shelves
- Keep anything you LOVE that doesn’t fit – put in the box marked keep with the date. Make a note in your calendar and you will open this box in 6 months and if they still don’t fit you will donate or sell them.
- Donate – anything you have not worn in the last 6 months, anything that doesn’t fit, anything that you have multiples of e.g. 6 black blouses. (there are only 7 days in the week)
- Sell – anything you have never worn or is a gently worn designer label
Why sort by season?
When you store “out of season” clothes my favorite part is opening the containers in the spring or fall and I feel like I just got a whole new closet. This also helps free up space in your closet so you can see what you have and you are more likely to wear items that might have been hidden in the clutter
- Hang by style, then by color and I use specific hangers to help even more – e.g. white hangers for blouses, wooden hangers for jackets.
- Take the trash bag to the bin
- Load the car and drive immediately to the consignment store and the charity store – no second thoughts
- If you buy something new – always donate, sell or trash something you currently have
All the reasons you should do this
- It’s easy to see what you own
- You can get a tax refund for your donations
- You will like what you are wearing and stop feeling guilty about stuff that doesn’t fit
- You’ll maybe even justify a shopping trip to buy the correct size.
- You will feel a sense of relief and satisfaction