Organizing Your Home to Sell - 9 Things to Do
In my other life I was an organizer so when it comes to getting your home ready to sell I can definitely help!
First, you need to be ready to do this in order to have the right mindset here’s how to think of it:
- Giving – your favorite charity benefits and then someone else gets to use your stuff
- Saving – you will save money in moving expenses and time in your final packing
- Cleansing – this gives you peace of mind, better relationships
Then there’s the specific things that we, as agents, ask you to do:
- Take down all your personal photos. I always say just leave one photo because truly buyers do want to know who you are and one is OK. But make sure it is not in the photos that are taken to be shared on the Internet.
- Go room by room and remove everything that you can live without – this might be extra cushions, clutter on the coffee table, books on bookshelves, etc.
- Clean and tidy all your kitchen drawers and cupboards – people open them and form opinions based on this!
- Clean out your closets – anything that has less in it looks bigger.
- Remove all your valuable items – that means gone – not just into a drawer – put somewhere someone would have to search to find them.
- Remove bills and invoices that could show credit card numbers.
- Do all the things you’ve been putting off – leaky faucets, squeaky doors.
- Clean, clean, clean – consider hiring a professional then you only have to maintain it – especially grout!
- Paint, look at corners and entry ways – they usually need a touch up.
Want to know how to do all this – check out my How to Organize Blog coming soon!